• A community of children and their families and teachers sharing songs, instrument play, rhythm chants, and movement activities in relaxed, playful, non-performance-oriented settings.
• Music learned through developmentally appropriate activities that support and respect the unique learning styles of very young children.
• Children participating at their own levels in mixed-age family-style classes or in preschool settings.
• Parents and caregivers contributing to the enrichment of their child’s music environment—regardless of their own musical abilities.
• A new song collection every semester for three years, featuring great arrangements of original and traditional songs in a wide variety of tonalities, meters, and cultural styles.
Mixed Age Classes: (ages 0-5 years)
This is the essential Music together class, one that a child can attend from birth through age four through all nine song collections. This basic class follows the recommendations of child development researchers - grouping children of a variety of ages because this fosters natural,family-style learning. Younger children enjoy watching and imitating older ones; older children learn by leading younger ones; and adults are happy because the children in the family can go to class together. Each child participates at his or her own level in singing, moving, chanting, listening, watching or exploring musical instruments. Any caregivers - parents, grandparents, nanny - can bring the children. The whole family is welcome for this important family music experience.
Babies Classes:(ages 0-7 months)
(a 15 minute informal new moms group follows class)
Every child’s development benefits from early exposure to music and movement. Because the early months are so important, Music Together offers two options for babies. Babies eight months and younger at the time of registration may attend a Mixed Ages Class whether registered on their own or attending free with an older brother or sister. Babies may also take the special “Babies Class” offered as a one-semester introduction to Music Together. (This class cannot be repeated.) The music activities and materials are specially designed for parents who want to learn as much as possible about music development in babies. You will learn some fascinating music activities you can recreate at home with your baby.